Friday, April 28, 2006

Get Off The Phone!

As we all know, cell phones are a huge part of people's lives. I know I can't live without mine. It's as if my whole life is in that little metal box. Well, the Chinese are no different.

Attending a lecture in China, I was surprised at the number of people who left their cell phones on. Throughout the whole lecture, these students were answering their phones, talking non-stop. No one seemed to care. As an American, this seemed highly disrespectful. For some Americans, their hearts jump when their phone starts ringing in class because they are so embarrassed. Why is there such a difference between the cultures? Are they too flexible? Are we too rigid?

Technology and communicating with the outside world seems to be a growing interest in China. The Chinese are on the Internet and learning English. Some of the girls I taught two years ago are still emailing me and asking me to help them come to the United States and to help them improve their English skills so that it is possible. Why do you think they are doing this?

Some people may argue they are trying to be like us. I recall some people on this blog asserting that people throughout the world want to be like us, and that is why they listen to our music and embrace our culture? I don't agree. I think that they are now more able to learn about other cultures. Everything outside of their bubble is foreign to them and they want to hold on to something different. Maybe they are getting more freedoms, and this allows them to feel fine talking on the phone during a lecture, and singing along to Britney Spears. Who knows...

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_39/b3901066.htm

1 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

Well, the speaker was my mom and she didn't really react much. She just saw it as part of the culture, I guess. The translators didn't seem to care either though, which seems interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home